Ssh! or maybe not
How strange, one of the first things I want to be able to do, once a box is installed is remotely manage it. SSH is the prefered way, so imagine my suprise to find it not installed!
Once I realised that its called SSH on debian and not SSHD as it is in Redhat, then I could type the old apt-get install ssh and away we went, kinda.
Why kinda? Well, then you have to know how to start the service. Now there is no way a new user would know "/etc/init.d/ssh start" and whats more to the point how do I make it start at boot?
You may laugh, but on a redhat box we have a services utility and you click the service and it starts and you place a tick next to it and it will start every time. No such tool in Ubuntu, such a shame. Here is a shot of the service config tool in redhat
Maybe this tool is there, but I couldnt find it. So how do you get a service to start at boot (if you dont have the luxury of a tickbox) ? Well you need to use "update-rc.d" apparently or to be more precise type "update-rc.d -f ssh defaults" - how could I have been so silly not to know this !!
Once I realised that its called SSH on debian and not SSHD as it is in Redhat, then I could type the old apt-get install ssh and away we went, kinda.
Why kinda? Well, then you have to know how to start the service. Now there is no way a new user would know "/etc/init.d/ssh start" and whats more to the point how do I make it start at boot?
You may laugh, but on a redhat box we have a services utility and you click the service and it starts and you place a tick next to it and it will start every time. No such tool in Ubuntu, such a shame. Here is a shot of the service config tool in redhat
Maybe this tool is there, but I couldnt find it. So how do you get a service to start at boot (if you dont have the luxury of a tickbox) ? Well you need to use "update-rc.d" apparently or to be more precise type "update-rc.d -f ssh defaults" - how could I have been so silly not to know this !!

2 Comments:
At 14 September 2004 at 20:29,
Anonymous said…
I'm deeply, deeply surprised that you needed to configure it to start. SSH should start up on boot. Every Debian box I've ever built does, just by apt-get install ssh. Mysterious.
Gnome 2.8 (tomorrow!) has a services thing which will handle Debian services, among others.
Aq.
At 14 September 2004 at 22:51,
Ade said…
Hmm, maybe it does then. I think I may have made an assumption that it doesnt start at boot. I shall reinstall and double check this at some point. Im amazed that SSH didnt come in the standard install though.
I will let you know my findings
Post a Comment
<< Home