Ubuntu, its Debian but not as you know it

experiences of testing a new Linux distro called Ubuntu

Sunday, September 05, 2004

time for a second install

Due to a network error (more about this at the bottom of this post) and plus I guess Im supposed to be testing the whole process, including the install; Ive decided to re-install. This time I might even make some notes :-)

This is pretty much the sequence of events
  • Nice zebra pattern and requested to hit enter to continue, which I did
  • It asks which country Im in. It defaults to USA so I choose uk
  • (Now it shows me a message that tells me its "detecting hardward to find cdrom", then loads the rest of the ubuntu installer)
  • detects network stuff, I have 2 nics, so I chose one
  • next it asks for the hostname
  • disk partitioning - I have 3 hard disks in this machine and want to install on the first and leave the others alone - this was the default choice so I hit enter
  • it then double checks that you are sure
  • (next it runs away and installs what it calls the base system)
  • 5 mins later it tells me its finished and pops out the CDrom (and asks me to hit enter)
  • (It then quickly (5 seconds) confugures some stuff and reboots)
  • black grub screen (only the first time, all further boots have the snazzy logo)
  • (Boots - lots of messages (some scary) then more input required)
  • Welcome (hit enter)
  • time zone (choses london as a defualt - nice)
  • asks me to chose a logon name, fullname and password (twice)
  • (apt-config) next there is a not very user firendly message about the cdrom - luckily I know it just wants me to put the cdrom back in - I do and hit enter
  • next it adds a new package (mdetect) and then starts quite a long process of configuring all its packages, which includes downloading all the latest versions via my net connection. The long part of the process isnt the download (I have 1.5meg broadband) its the setting up and registering part. I guess there is no getting around this but its not very pretty.
  • After all that is done, pressing enter fires up X and gdm and I log into a fully ready to run desktop, with pretty much all I need. Superb
  • Fimally I do an update and pull down all the latest updates (see below)

Issues to be looked at
I think that there are a couple of small issues that need to be looked at though.
During this test Im trying to be as much of a clueless end user as possible; its not very hard :-) There are a couple of things that Ive had to do that a new user wouldnt know how to.
  1. Change the root password with Sudo - "sudo passwd root"
  2. Manually add the sources into /etc/apt/sources.list

Whats this network error you were babbling on about?
My fault totally, I had a second DHCP server on my network for some testing I was doing and the ubuntu box must have got its initial information from this. Now while I did spot this and take care of it, I hadnt noticed that it had filled in the DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf.

I was getting name resolution problems and so I naturally looked inside /etc/resolv.conf and found the wrong name servers. I did expect a refresh of the DHCP address to also fix this but it didnt. The fix was simple, just type in the correct name servers in but I thought Id do a fresh install, so that I could make some notes about the insall process.

1 Comments:

  • At 7 April 2006 at 15:16, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    why would a clueless user want a root password? Or even know what such a thing is?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home