the beginning
Well, as some of you know, Ive decided to help beta test a new distro based on Debian. Few will disagree that Debian is the choice of distro for the more decerning geek. Its probably not the first ditro a newbie, say, would use however.
So why dont I run Debian as my OS? Well there are a number of reasons.
1. I didnt/dont like the installer - I found I couldnt get a complete and working desktop up and running in a reasonable amount of time. I would end up wiping it and doing a knoppix hard disk install, which for some reason I always think of as cheating. Redhat on the other hand would quickly and simply have a fully featured desktop up in no time.
2. I find that debian is always a bit behind on the latest technologies. Those Debian types seem to value stability over bleeding edge and you certainly can blame them on important boxes, such as servers. For me, my desktop machine is where I want to play with the latest and greatest. I always think of Debian as a grown ups OS, very sensible and mature and reliable. The kind of OS my parents would approve of if I bought it home to meet em :-)
3. I really do think that you get used to the first thing that you try and thats another reason I stuck with Redhat. Ive gotten kind of used to all the entertainment those RPMs give me.
So why trial a Debian distro? Well I try and keep an open mind of this kind of thing and from time to time I will install SUSE or Mandrake, have a fiddle and decide I like Redhat much better and that I was right all along.
The guys behind Ubuntu promise the best of all worlds. They are baseing their distro on Debian (lots of packages available and oodles of stability). They are completely redoing the installer, making it much more user friendly and with a lot more sensible defaults - you can only admire this goal. Plus they are going to have the latest and greatest in there and have anounced a very frequent release of updates. It just sounded too good to miss.
I watched them do a laptop install during a talk they were giving at a local LUG, and I was sold on it. The rest is history (all be it quite recent history)
So why dont I run Debian as my OS? Well there are a number of reasons.
1. I didnt/dont like the installer - I found I couldnt get a complete and working desktop up and running in a reasonable amount of time. I would end up wiping it and doing a knoppix hard disk install, which for some reason I always think of as cheating. Redhat on the other hand would quickly and simply have a fully featured desktop up in no time.
2. I find that debian is always a bit behind on the latest technologies. Those Debian types seem to value stability over bleeding edge and you certainly can blame them on important boxes, such as servers. For me, my desktop machine is where I want to play with the latest and greatest. I always think of Debian as a grown ups OS, very sensible and mature and reliable. The kind of OS my parents would approve of if I bought it home to meet em :-)
3. I really do think that you get used to the first thing that you try and thats another reason I stuck with Redhat. Ive gotten kind of used to all the entertainment those RPMs give me.
So why trial a Debian distro? Well I try and keep an open mind of this kind of thing and from time to time I will install SUSE or Mandrake, have a fiddle and decide I like Redhat much better and that I was right all along.
The guys behind Ubuntu promise the best of all worlds. They are baseing their distro on Debian (lots of packages available and oodles of stability). They are completely redoing the installer, making it much more user friendly and with a lot more sensible defaults - you can only admire this goal. Plus they are going to have the latest and greatest in there and have anounced a very frequent release of updates. It just sounded too good to miss.
I watched them do a laptop install during a talk they were giving at a local LUG, and I was sold on it. The rest is history (all be it quite recent history)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home