Ubuntu, its Debian but not as you know it

experiences of testing a new Linux distro called Ubuntu

Saturday, September 04, 2004

my first install

So how was my first time? Mind your own business! Instead I shall tell you about my first install of Ubuntu.

Machine: 750mghz Athlon with 256 megs of Ram, an ATI (if I remember correctly) graphics card and two network cards (one 3 com and one DLink).

Now this was a couple of weeks ago, so Im a little fuzzy about the exact details but here you go. Well I popped my freshly burnt CDROM into the drive and booted. To be honest, it all went very smoothly, with one exception. So I wont bother you with the boring stuff but instead I will tell you about the issue I had installing - it wasnt a huge problem.

During the install, you get asked questions in a nice friendly way and the default choice in always the correct one. However, while I was installing, it detected that I had two network cards and decided to try and download the latest versions of everything. Now at the time I didnt have this machine on the network, I was going to install first and then connect it and update it. This proved not to be an option - which I was quite supprised by. When the installer failed to get an IP address, it threw up an error box with an option to go back and try again. As far as I can remember there was no option to "just use whats on the CDROM". I remember thinking that this was a shame, but Im sure they will change this behavior.

How did I get passed this, well I connected it to my LAN and told it to try again. After that, it was all plain sailing - resulting in me having a nice, usable desktop with all the standard things installed that I needed. Excellent.

So my first impressions are very favourable. Now they intend to release with Gnome 2.8, as soon as its released and so I intend to wipe my system and try installing from scratch again as soon as they do that.



The mailing list for Ubuntu is very busy and there is a lot of work being done by the staff. Im amazed at how prolific they are. I update my current install every few days and the number of packages that have changed never ceases to amaze me - god knows how big their programming team must be.

Would I recomend Ubuntu? You bet I would ! Im actually thinking of replacing all my redhat machines with it at some point. I hope this doesnt mean Im growing up <shudder>

1 Comments:

  • At 4 September 2004 at 18:20, Blogger Ade said…

    I dont think that they have finalised a name but the word Ubuntu is an African one and its meaning is quite nice

    Here is one definition but do check out some others

     

Post a Comment

<< Home