Ubuntu, its Debian but not as you know it

experiences of testing a new Linux distro called Ubuntu

Friday, September 10, 2004

take three

Having downloaded the latest version and burnt it to a CDRW, its was time to do a third install.

While the end result of the previous install was a solid, working distro, there were a couple of minor tweaks that needed to be made to the install procedure. Happily I can report that they have now addressed these. I mean Im sure that they have changed quite a bit more under the hood too.

Once this version is installed, the most noticable thing is that all the artwork has changed. To be honest, I prefered the previous artwork but that is still available.

So as I say the install process is much better now, here (briefly) is the process

  • Boots from CD and gives you the Zebra logo, you press enter
  • It asks you which language you prefer
  • Then what region of the world you are in
  • it then goes away and detects hardware, looking for the CDROM (I can see this confusing people as its just booted from it)
  • Then it tells you its loading components
  • Next it asks you to select the network card you wish to use (remember there are two in my box); I select one and press enter
  • Next its the big one - disk partitioning. I have three disks and only want to touch the first one - that was the default answer, so I hit enter
  • Next it asks if you are really sure (defualt answer is no). I select yes and press enter
  • Now it spends 5-10 mins copying packages to the disk
  • Next it asks you to remove the CDROM. The wording of this dialog box is vastly improved. After removing the CDROM and hitting enter, it reboots
  • As it boots, it welcomes you and asks you to press enter
  • Next it asks you to select a time zone
  • Then it asks you to set up your user account by providing a fullname, username and password (twice)
  • The next part involves downloading up-to-date packages from the net, unpacking them and setting them up - THIS takes a long time (not the downloading as I have a 1.5mb net connection, but the unpacking and setting up takes quite a while.
  • Finall it thanks you for chosing Ubuntu and asks you to press enter. Where upon it starts X for the first time and invites you to logon via GDM

So, once you log on, you have the wonderfull Debian system, complete with VERY up-to-date packages and, as I mentioned above, the new trial artwork. This is quite nice but if they are going to go with it, then there are a lot of menu item icons that need to be created.

As I mentioned in a previous entry where you had to manually select the sources for Apt., you still do but atleast there are entries in there now that just need uncommenting out.

Well thats about it for now as Ive only spend 30 or so mins with the latest version. When Ive spent more time with this version I shall post more about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home